And it's looking like a wedding, with the number of guests we want, is a minimum of $10,000. We don't want to take out a line of credit (which we are finding is more popular than we thought!) and we still have a honeymoon to pay for!
- Friday or Sunday - A lot of venues give discounts if you have your event on a Friday or Sunday. Aaron wants Friday, but I think Sunday is more ideal. So we will see :-)
- Fall or Winter - When I thought about my dream wedding, Fall and Winter never entered my mind. Ever. It would be summer CLEARLY. But venues will take off a good $1,000 if your event isn't during peak wedding season (June-September)! While the weather in Reno/Tahoe can be finicky during October (2 years ago we got Snow on October 5th!) we're considering an October date instead.
- Food - this has been the hardest because I've said from the beginning I could care less for fancy food. The best wedding I attended actually had appetizers which I think is an AMAZING idea. But I've been convinced a full meal is ideal (since we're not having it in town). Most venues don't offer "cheaper" food. It's all or nothing. It's the filet mignon and salmon or nothing. I think a pasta bar would be PERFECT, so now I need to find a venue that agrees with me
- Booze - We want our guests to have a great time. And this typically coincides with an open bar. However venues charge up the wazoo for alcohol, so we've decided to limit the openness of the bar. It'll be more like a cracked bar.
- Dress - Seriously, I've made my budget $250. And that INCLUDES the veil and shoes and jewelry. It's possible - it has to be. There are dresses online that start at $250 (of course that doesn't include alterations). Don't laugh at me. Dresses typically start at $750 for a CHEAP dress. But I have the time to look, and I'll only be wearing it for 1 day. Although I think I paid more than this for my prom dresses (thanks mom!)
- Flowers - I plan on minimizing the amount of flowers I use to the bouquets and possibly altar decorations. I'm trying to get creative with centerpieces using candles and other decorations. Flowers are pricy. And they die. So I figure I can cut costs by limiting flowers.
- CONTESTS - At one point in my life I had a contest winning streak. I won concert tickets, a trip to the bahamas, CDs, Port of Subs, you name it. I'm entering as many contests as humanly possible. Stationary, dresses, jewelry. Everything. Maybe my luck will strike again and I'll win something. Anything.
If all else fails, we're eloping.