Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Wedding Nightmares!

Background Story

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I was a high school senior, the cool thing was to have a graduation party.  My friends and I all coordinated our graduation parties so that none of them would overlap and we could go to each party.  My friends all had their parties and mine was last.  It was up at the beach at my dad's cabin and I couldn't wait!  The morning of the party was pleasant - a warm June day.  
This slowly turned into a little breezy
Which turned into a lot breezy
Which turned into a complete thunderstorm

Needless to say, NONE of my friends showed up.  Not only did they not show up, but they didn't even call to say they wouldn't come.  I had two guests - which I am thankful for! - but we planned on a much larger turnout.  

Joke was on me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


To this day, I have not had another party.  I am terrified I'll have my friends RSVP then play a practical joke and not show up.  My mom had to surprise me with a 21st birthday party with family because I refused to have one.  College graduation parties?  Out of the question!  I refuse to ever plan any other birthday party or event, because I remember how crushed I felt the day of my graduation party when not a single person showed up who said they would.

So for the past 9 years I have not hosted a single event for myself.  Until now - my wedding.

And you can imagine how terrified I am that no one will show up.  I'll go through a ton of effort and get my hopes up, just to be left at the altar by myself.

Since October-ish, this is what my dreams have consisted of.  Almost every night I have dreams where:
  • I forgot to send out invites
  • The flowers didn't show
  • My guests didn't show
  • My bridesmaids forgot to come
  • No one booked the band
  • I lost my dress
  • Etc etc etc

After posting this on Facebook, I quickly found out I'm not alone!  I thought it was my FEAR of parties, but turns out I'm not the only one who has these nightmares!


I think whenever anyone pours their time, money, and emotions into an event we want it to be as perfect as possible, so it's common to worry about the "what-if's" of the world.  But goodness if these nasty little "what-if's" could leave me and my dreams alone, I'd greatly appreciate it :-)

Does anyone else have wedding nightmares?!
Love Always, Nancy J

7 comments

  1. SO many wedding nightmares...like my dress wasn't he right one and no one showed up just to name a few! Xx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel like none of those nightmares will happen, but if they do my advice is just go with the flow if they do ;) it's only one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, I just know everything will work out beautifully. And at the end of the day you still get to marry your best friend. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had this problem over the summer! I would have nightmares nightly about my wedding! It was terrible. Luckily, they went away after awhile. Just stay busy and focused on the tasks at hand! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel this so much. We're planning a graduation party for Jeremy next month and I just keep picturing the two of us sitting around trying to eat all the food because no one showed up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally had these nightmares... for no reason! Everyone came and it was quite the party! You'll be surprised at who takes the time out of their day to come celebrate your love! I'd totally be there... if I didn't live a few states away ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:12 AM

    Don't worry, people will show, and your fear of parties will finally be defeated!

    ReplyDelete

I lovelove comments! Thank you for taking the time to read my post and leave me a comment :-)

I respond to comments via email for those of you who have your email linked to your account.

If it's not linked, I'll respond on here. Thank you!