Monday, April 29, 2013

A much needed weekend

Alright Bloggy McBloggerson - it's time for a heart-to-heart.

The weekend before last was an amazing weekend.  It's exactly what I needed physically, mentally, emotionally, everything.

I've been in Portland for a little over a year.  If you asked me before I moved if I was excited or not I'd say, "How am I going to make friends?"

I'm not in school anymore.  I don't go clubbing.  How do you make friends outside of college?  Troll the local grocery store and approach every 22-30 year old female I see?

Get my point?

As expected, it really is hard to make friends when you live in a new city!  Boyfriend works nights and sleeps days with Tuesday-Thursday off work.  Basically we have 100% opposite schedules.  So I typically spend my weekends blog-stalking, errand-running, and gym-going.  And the few couple-friends we've made here have similar schedules.  It's like working M-F 8-5 is uncommon around these parts.

ANYHOW - I digress.

So the weekend before last I went home. 
Originally I booked my flight to meet my new niece and nephew baby twinnies.


But then boyfriend popped the question.  And this "quick trip home" turned into a hunt for a wedding venue (more to come on this later).

So between seeing my family, playing with babies, and hunting for venues, I wanted more than anything to see my friends. 

As you can tell Lou was a little more than excited to see me too.


It was a wonderful weekend. 
I laughed. 
DIDN'T CRY. 
We drank. 
We danced. 
We stayed out till 3:30am. 
We wine-walked. 
Our diet consisted of junk food (see: blue Symphony bars and Doritos above)
We just had a typical Reno weekend with some amazing people.
I really just needed this kind of a weekend filled with those "instant connection" type of friends.  It's not forced.  It's easy.  And it's even more easy to pick up where you left off.  When I left Monday morning to fly home I felt like I was leaving a boyfriend.  I felt like I was going through a breakup.  I felt like I couldn't believe it was ending - and I didn't want it to!

It was a wonderful weekend and I can't wait for my next trip back home.




Papa Mark doing his DJ thing.

I also can't forget the pictures of Tahoe from the Fire Lookout :-)

7 comments

  1. Just hopped across your blog, you know how that goes when you start clicking around -- SO cute. Excited to be your newest follower.

    Congrats on the engagement, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm worried about the same thing. I've built a strong group of girlfriends where we live now and we are planning on moving to a new state for husband's job next year. How do you meet new friends?! I have a feeling I'm going to go through girlfriend withdrawal after we leave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stumbled upon your blog love it! & your nieces and nephews are so adorable!

    All in a Soiree
    Be sure to Like All in a Soiree on Facebook
    Sparkles of everything design and events!

    https://www.facebook.com/AllInASoiree?ref=hl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeeeeek I love Kayla! ^^^ So glad she found you!

    I so know what you mean about making friends in a new city - it's freaking hard!! We've had so much difficulty here in Charlotte. We work all day every day and weekends we don't go to clubs and stuff.. what else are we supposed to do?! Haha. Glad you had a weekend that made your heart happy :) You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. making friends outside of college is hard! i don't know how people do it...maybe we should attempt a blate one of these days? glad you got to enjoy home though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Tahoe pic is amazing.

    And M-F 8-5 is so not the norm here :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not in school or working...haven't been for over a year. I have a handful of good friends but their schedules are so varied that I rarely see them :/ I've looked for different classes or groups to attend to make new friends, but I live in a smaller town for most of the year and an itty bitty town for maybe another 4 or 5 months of the year. Options are slim to none. Have you looked on meetup.com? I think that's what it's called; there are pages for book clubs and hiking groups and just about everything else if you live in a heavily populated area.

    ReplyDelete

I lovelove comments! Thank you for taking the time to read my post and leave me a comment :-)

I respond to comments via email for those of you who have your email linked to your account.

If it's not linked, I'll respond on here. Thank you!