Wednesday, April 08, 2015

4 Tips for Wedding Dress Shopping

My mom, Aunt Peggy, and cousin Hailey were my entourage as we spent a long weekend in Sacramento visiting the several boutiques and stores.

Now that the wedding is OVER (wootwoot), I thought it would be a fun post to share the variety of dresses I tried on while dream-dress-shopping, and let you in on some secrets that helped me pick "the one." 

Dresses come in all different price ranges.  It was important to me I didn't spend a fortune on a dress I'd only wear once.
It's like I'm frugal or something :-)
Your assistants first question will be about your budget - so make sure you set this prior to your first dress appointment





While I ADORED this dress, it simply didn't fit our venue and just didn't "feel" right.  Our venue was outdoors/meadow/woods/rustic/beachy-esque. 
In another life when I get married in a church or a beautiful country club, this is my go-to.





I went in to the appointments knowing I wanted a lacy form-fitting dress.  And at the end of the day I walked out with a chiffon flowy dress.  The dress in this picture I had ZERO desire to try on.
It was poofy.  There were feathers.  It screamed NO.
But I did it anyway.
While you may have an idea of what you want, keep an open mind because you'll be surprised the endless options.




Don't buy a dress because the style looked good on someone else.  Whatever the style, make sure it fits YOU.  When you put on a dress you should think, "This is so 'me'"



For me, I wanted something that was "timeless."  I wanted something where I'd look at pictures 30 years from now and not have to explain to my beautiful grandchildren "That was the style back in 2014."  I wanted something that complimented my location, and flattered my figure.

I also wanted something that made my mom cry the moment she saw me wearing the gown, but let's be honest - she cried with every dress.







ToTravelandBeyond

11 comments

  1. Excellent advice! For me it was really important that the dress feel like me, no matter what anyone else's ideas said. So when one store tried to push a fluffy, princess gown on me, I had to stand my bridal ground! That's really important for brides to feel comfortable doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And not to mention you'll be spending an entire day in the dress. Better make sure it's something you're not miserable in.

      Delete
  2. All of these dresses are gorgeous! These are also great pieces of advice. It's so important to try on several dresses in many different styles, I had no idea the style I ended up choosing would be the style I would end up with. It's all in how you feel in each dress.

    Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both girlfriend. It's easy to think you know what you want until you try everything on and broaden your perspective a bit :-)

      Delete
  3. Girl, you look amazing in EVERY dress! haha You can't go wrong no matter what you wear. BEAUTIFUL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are too kind!!! It was definitely fun playing dress up for a weekend!!

      Delete
  4. I love this, especially that little booty shimmy in the video! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES keep an open mind. I originally thought I wanted a full satin ballgown but ended up going with a huge organza, layered ballgown. You never know until you try it on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great tips, lady! I love the one about keeping an open mind – SO true! For me it was important that I stuck with what I wanted and didn’t let anyone’s opinions get to me. It’s definitely important to look through a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such great advice and so true. I wanted something flowy and ended up with a strapless lace fit and flare. Happy I had an open mind : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, we had very similar dresses: chiffon, sweetheart neck, a-symmetrical - love it!! These tips are fantastic and I definitely agree most with the open mind one. I thought I wanted lace and I was SO wrong haha!! Thanks so much for linking up this week :)

    ReplyDelete

I lovelove comments! Thank you for taking the time to read my post and leave me a comment :-)

I respond to comments via email for those of you who have your email linked to your account.

If it's not linked, I'll respond on here. Thank you!